Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My budgie keeps sleeping more than usual. Her poop is normal

Customer Question

My budgie keeps sleeping more than usual. Her poop is normal her feathers are shiny . She looks healthy but isn't behaving healthy . She keeps bloating up . Today she's not eating . She acting dull I'm so worried.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today her poop is though a lil liquidy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone. Thank you for the pic. I agree that she doesn't look well.
It's important to note that once a parakeet acts ill they're critically ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because ill birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Twix's symptoms of somnolence (sleepiness), puffing up, anorexia, dullness, and diarrhea are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder.
An avian-oriented vet will first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Twix's choana - the slit between her oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken.
Until Twix can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 90F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.
Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Twix's diet consisted of, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr thank u for getting back to me . Ive been worried all day yesterday and today. Im taking her to vet tomorrow its hollistic vet care in whitestone ny . I only give her pellet diet right now shes on vitakraft bonanza , menu , diet . I never feed her only seeds. I bought oasis yesterday ill give that to her . Shes eating millet but thats it. Dr can i give her pedialyte today and if yes what dosage and how?
I'm pleased to hear that she's eating the pellets and not just seeds. I applaud your care. Yes, Pedialyte is fine and there's no specific dosage. A parakeet drinks about a teaspoon of water daily. That amount would be difficult for you to dose orally but every little bit helps.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attaching a pic pf her poop . Shes not eating the pellet diet from past 2 days but shes having millets.
Thank you. The poop is formed but scant suggesting that she hasn't been eating well. There appears to be more urine than normal. I'm not familiar with Vitakraft bonanza. Googling doesn't bring that up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry doctor it is vitakraft menu , lm farms vitamix and vitakraft vitasmart . Also im giving her gerber infant pure water is that good?
Thank you! The water is fine. I'd like to see her eat fresh foods too - tiny pieces of hard boiled egg yolk, the tops of fresh greens, cheese, and meats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Twix had seizure . I'm wondering what happened ? I did give her pedialyte (clear no flavor)and the same night she started having seizure.and on my way to vet she passed away. I loved her more than myself. I loved her so much. She's my heart. I had to bring another one for my male budgie before he went in depression so I did bring her a same color female as twix named her twix too and she behaves just like twix .

My condolences for your loss of Twix. These birds don't give us much chance to help them because they're already critically ill when they first appear ill.