Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

Our two year old cocktail flew away while staying with family

Customer Question

Our two year old cocktail flew away while staying with family on Long Island. The wings have not been clipped in a while. The bird came back to the yard 24 hours later, my daughter recognized her voice but we could reach her on the tree. We tried to catch her for 2 hours with several kids around and just managed to scare her away. Any ideas if she comes back? Thanks
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm sorry to hear of your cockatiel's escape. First of all, I would set her cage outside in a very visible area. Leave the door open, but also put a bowl of water and some of her favorite treats on top of the cage. Try to keep noisy children away. It would be best if only one trusted family member was present. If you know anyone with a cockatiel, it can help to have another bird present - in a secure cage of course. Often, curiosity will bring a bird in to see who this strange bird is. In the meantime, put up posters and ask people. Be sure that the people you ask include mail and newspaper carriers, meter readers, any work crews you see in the area, and the neighborhood children. Call local vet clinics, including the emergency clinics, because there are kind-hearted people who will take an injured bird they've found in for care. Check with every animal shelter, pound, and humane society. If any of these places have a bird that sounds at all like yours, take a trip to look.Some local TV and radio stations will run lost announcements at no charge, so check into that possibility. Put an ad in the newspaper. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I wish you success. Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Anna