August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

My african Grey 3 and a half years old suddenly died on the wee

Customer Question

Hello. My african Grey 3 and a half years old suddenly died on the weekend. I have no idea why. I came home from work. He was a little weak. He had been like that before too. I thought he was just a little sick and will get better. Few hours later he made few noises and just fell and died. :(
Category: Bird
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,i am still waiting for my answer. I have not found out anything yet .Thank you,
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 1 year ago.
I'm so very sorry for your loss and apologize also for this delay in getting back to you. I lost both my main and back up computer to a macaw that removed every key on both keyboards! When it comes to a sudden death like this the only way to know for sure is with a necropsy (animal autopsy), but even then a causation is sometimes impossible to pinpoint. What I can tell you and try to tell all bird owners, is that unlike with any mammal pet, birds rarely do well with a 'watch and see' approach. The first time you saw him weak and acting 'off' was the time to get a vet visit lined up with a vet who is well experienced with birds. The issue could have been liver disease, heart disease, hypovitaminosis A, calcium deficiency or a host of other potentially deadly problems that with the right diagnosis and treatment could have been cured or at least lived with. AG's don't need more calcium than other psittacines, but they react worse to a lower level of calcium than most other psittacines. If the bird was on a mostly seed diet with just a little fruits, vegetables and nuts, this could have lent to the complications. Another common causation is airborne. Any scented candles, air fresheners, carpet cleaning products and most especially febreze products are deadly to all birds. Cooking with teflon, using a hair dryer or iron near a bird - even electric heaters, air purifiers, toasters, toaster ovens and the like, often with mechanisms coated with teflon that heats up are further threats. Then we come to the typical poisons found in bug sprays, ant sprays and even plain bleach if used in a relatively closed area near the bird. As you see, just too many things to name And importantly, it might simply have been something congenital (he was born with) If you have any further questions or concerns - want to explore more, please let me know. I'm on a computer again and check back here regularly throughout the day and evening.