eclimber
eclimber, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian and long time bird owner
24704774

My female cockatiel has a clutch of two fertile unhatched eggs.

Customer Question

My female cockatiel has a clutch of two fertile unhatched eggs. The male died two days ago, she is still eating, drinking and pooping properly, she is not sitting on the eggs as much and they are getting cold. Will they survive?
Category: Bird
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
I'd like to ask you a few questions to better help me advise you.
How long ago did she lay the eggs?
Were both parents cooperatively incubating them?
Is she indoors with them or in an aviary outdoors?
Has she successfully hatched a clutch of eggs before?
What is her diet like?
Was the male responsible for any prior hatchings?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She layed her eggs 3 weeks ago. She topped sitting on the egg this morning.
Both parents were sharing incubation. Daddy bird would sit on the eggs while mummy bird fed and stretched her wings. He was a very active and supportive parent. This is his first clutch.
She is in a very large cage inside.
This is her first clutch.
Diet includes: Harrison's pellets, greens (baby spinach, broccoli), fruit (apple, raisons both in small quantities), and calcium/charcoal bells that hang on the inside of the cage.
I mix through their food a Vetafarm Breeding Aid, and in their water they have Calicvet Water soluable Calcium and Vitamin D3.
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
OK, great.
Thanks for the good info.
Sounds like a very good diet, especially considering the extreme metabolic demands made on a bird's body surrounding breeding/laying/hatching/raising young.
It is never a sure thing when captive bred cockatiels are themselves laying and (hopefully) hatching out and raising healthy chicks. The behavior itself is both genetic and learned, whether successful or not.
You can candle the eggs at about a week to see if they are indeed fertile, so you would definitely be able to see at this time whether or not there was a chance for them to hatch.
Handling them gently should not make her any less likely to set on them--there is no truth that she will "smell" you on the eggs.
If she laid all the eggs around the same time and waited to set on them until after she was through laying, then these eggs are due (about 20 days +/- 1-2 days).
The following link is one of the best I've seen for good info on hatching cockatiels.
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html
Let me know if I may further assist you, and take care.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine