Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

This morning my parrotlet was sitting in the bottom of her

Customer Question

This morning my parrotlet was sitting in the bottom of her cage, which is highly unusual. She is very quiet and lethargic. She was fine yesterday. Is there something I should do?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognize that once our birds appear ill they're likely to be quite ill. This is a protective mechanism because ill-appearing birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Melody's lethargy is an important symptom but it isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Ideally, an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) should take a look at her. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Until she can be attended to please remove her perches and place her food and water on the bottom of her cage along with her. Heat up her environment to 80F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to sleep) or by taping a heating pad set at its lowest setting around the sides of her cage. Add a water soluble vitamin such as Oasis brand available in pet/feed stores at 1/2 the recommended dose on the label to her water so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet to her water as well. Nutritional imbalances are common in primary seed-eating birds. Please tell me what Melody's diet has consisted of.