August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

I HAVE TWO OLD MALE COCKATIELS, ONE IS 21-22 YEARS OLD. ANYWAY

Customer Question

I HAVE TWO OLD MALE COCKATIELS, ONE IS 21-22 YEARS OLD. ANYWAY THESE TWO ARE REGURITATING, I REALLY CAN'T TELL WHO IS THE GIVER OR THE RECEIVER. IS THIS NATURAL? OR SHOULD I TRY KEEPING THEM FROM DOING IY?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you, I've been working with other clients and just now discovered your question in the stack. The short answer to your question is: "Yes, this kind of behavior can be quite natural." Birds give "gifts" to those they like by regurgitating food in their direction. Budgies, in particular, tend to regurgitate easily and often on and at those to whom they're attached, even toy birds and mirrors in their cages. I can think of no way to prevent them from doing this short of separating them, getting them out of sight or earshot of one another. Is there some reason you would need to do this to them?