Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My budgie has a tremor I tried heat treatment but as it is

Customer Question

My budgie has a tremor I tried heat treatment but as it is now 30 degrees celsius most days he should be getting better, but he just sits on his branch chivering and looking at his friend play... also it looks like his heart is gonna pop out of his chest. Any clue what is wrong? he is a rescue so at first I thought he was nervous, but its been almost 4 months, what really confuses me is that it seems to get better and he is active and flittering about the place and then some days he looks like well like a skittish little bird afraid of his own shadow
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I took the cage outside the other day when it got too hot to stay inside and put the cage in the shadow and my little budgie transformed into a curious, happy and altogether healthy looking bird. Chatting with the neighbours and other birds. Even the neighbours cat, mind you I'm not altogether sure that either of my budgies know what a cat is!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I must admit that the history you provided is curious. It's important to note that once a pet bird acts ill they're already quite ill and so I wonder if the adrenaline of being outside is overcoming Egon's illness only to relapse when he's brought inside. He may, indeed, be stressed particularly because you're seeing what sounds like tachycardia (increased heart rate).
It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you from here. Unfortunately, the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests and physical exams to differentiate. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various etiologies.
Please tell me what Egon's diet has consisted of. Nutritional imbalances are an all too common cause of illness in our pet birds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually he get a generic budgie mix... I've tried getting them to eat cucumber, apple and carrot, but without luck. I am considering sunflower seeds, but to be honest my 2 year old budgie max is starting to get chubby, when he isn't eating he is feeding Egon or the cage. He is very sociable and adore Egon. The feeling is mutual, the other day I observed Egon beggin to be groomed...
Those budgie mixes are mainly combinations of fatty seeds. These poor eaters become deficient in calcium, vitamins A, D3, B12, and K. I understand how difficult it can be to get these birds eating correctly at such a late date. Consider the balanced pelleted diets such as can be found here; www.harrisonsbirdfood.com/ and here lafeber.com/pet-birds/. For now, please be sure to continue adding an avian vitamin such as Oasis brand found in pet/feed stores at half of the recommended dose on the label so as not to make the water distasteful. Please also add a water soluble calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet. See if they become interested in hard boiled egg yolk, dairy products, the tops of fresh greens, and even tiny pieces of meat.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.