Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a common mynah, rescue bird. Since last week he's

Customer Question

Hi, I have a common mynah, rescue bird. Since last week he's snapping at his own feet and tapping his legs in what looks like discomfort. I'm worried that something is wrong with him as this behavior is making him very tired.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on the site and Leroy's behavior is unusual. I'm aware of only one article in which a Mynah behaved in that manner and that bird was found to suffer from phlebitis (inflammation of the veins) in his limbs. There was inflammation and erythema (redness) associated with the phlebitis. Do you see any abnormalities of Leroy's feet or legs? What has Leroy's diet consisted of, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, thank you for getting back to me. I don't see any redness or inflammation on Leroy's legs. His sies consists mainly of pellets formulated especially for mynahs and other softbills (Kaytee Rainbow Toucan and Mynah). we also give him grapes, mangos and cucumbers. But he prefers the pellets.

I did notice today that he is trying to find flat surfaces to stand on. He seems to be uncomfortable perching on his perches or walking on his cage bottom.

The situation is getting worse daily so for now we're letting him out of the cage as much as we can so he can be comfortable.

any additional info you can find would be useful.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Thank you for the additional information. His diet shouldn't be incriminated in his behavior. I had to eliminate an uncommon micronutrient deficiency causing a neuropathy. His feet need to be carefully examined for bumblefoot lesions - evidence of infection that has found its way into breaks in his foot skin. If there's no evidence of infection, an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) should take a look at Leroy. X-rays might be suggested looking for bony abnormalites in his hips or legs. It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you from here.