Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My baby bird has a left leg that she can not use. Her right

Customer Question

My baby bird has a left leg that she can not use. Her right leg is fine and she can bring it underneath her but the left leg seems pushed back and she cannot grip anything. What may be wrong?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If the baby bird's leg has been abnormal since birth we need to consider genetic defects, congenital (present at birth) defects which can be either of genetic or traumatic origin, trauma soon after birth, infections and wounds. An avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) can carefully palpate the leg in order to detect if the hip is dislocated or fractured, to see if any swellings exist that would indicate fracture, to detect if nociception (deep pain perception) is present in the leg - if absent, the prognosis for recovery is grave - and evaluate for soft tissue injury such as tendinopathies - a relatively common genetic defect or due to early injury in the nest. X-rays may be recommended to better understand the bony development in that leg. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.