Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian with a heavy emphasis on avian medicine
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Can pearl grays contract ringworm ?

Customer Question

Can pearl grays contract ringworm ?
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If so what do I treat it with? His behavior patterns are normal His appetite seems normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he starts purring I'll know he's been playing with the neighbors cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your cockatiel and ringworm. I'm so sorry he's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Ringworm is another term for dermatophytosis, a fungal infection of the skin. Dermatophytosis is commonly blamed for a variety of skin and feather abnormalities, but it's actually very rare. Diagnosis is confirmed through fungal culture (where you take a sample of skin flakes and feather and plant them on a medium that likes to grow the fungal organisms) or biopsy. It's worth emphasizing that positive tests for dermatophytes are actually very rare.
It also bears mentioning that dermatophytes can spread from bird to bird and also to people and other pets in the house, so caution is advised.
Dermatophytosis is treated in birds with the application of an antifungal cream, and usually takes several weeks if not months to resolve. Creams must be used with extreme caution in birds because it is necessary to avoid soaking down the bird with the oily cream and destroying the insulating ability of the feathers. I would NOT advise using any type of cream on your bird without having a confirmed diagnosis of dermatophytosis.
I'll add that there are many other causes of bald patches and scaly skin on a pearl gray cockatiel that are far more common than dermatophytosis.
I hope this helps to answer your question.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above. I want to be as helpful as possible.