Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years as avian-only veterinarian
21122637

Dr. Pat, how are you? I have an Umbrella Cockatoo. He

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Pat, how are you? I have an Umbrella Cockatoo. He jumped off his perch and landed hard on his fee. He is limping but can put weight on his leg. It doesn't look particularly swollen or hot. I wanted to know what you thought before I go to his vet and get an exray. He will be boarded on Tuesday at the vets so I wondered if I should do something now for support or do I need to take him in. Thanks for any information
Thank you. Andrea
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
The problem may be the femur, hip, pelvis or spine. If you have an appointment on Tuesday, that may be ok but it is 5 days away and a little bit long to wait if there is a fracture that needs pinning. On the other hand, parrots do quite well with even major fractures if they are kept confined and climbing and flying are prevented. I really cannot commit either way without a hands on exam.
If it is hip or upper leg, he may flinch when you touch those areas.
Also check the beak very carefully, sometimes beak cracks or fractures are associated with a fall injury, too.
If you feel comfortable with it, examine the bird thoroughly, using gentle restraint via washcloth or hand towel: do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Check the eyes, nostrils, mouth and beak if possible, having a good look in there for mucus, redness, masses or anything else unusual. Palpate the tummy for pain, fluid, lumps or anything else (eggs, if female or unknown). Check all the joints for swelling, pain, and mobility. The feathers should be parted to view the skin, muscles and skeleton below; this can be done using a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol or KY gel. Look for bruising, lacerations, injured feathers.
Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.
Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptarium-Cages
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ren. How is everything going?

Dr. Pat