Andrea Scheer
Andrea Scheer, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
76806804

My green cheek conure crashed on landing and injured his spine

Customer Question

My green cheek conure crashed on landing and injured his spine yesterday. It does not appear to be feature, the Vet already prescribed antibiotics for him. His feet cannot grab but he can still move his legs. Just cannot stand or grab. Today I gave him some physical therapy and warm bath, he uses his legs to paddle while in the water. Is there any chance for him to recover the use of his legs? If so, usually how long will it take for him to stand again?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Andrea Scheer replied 2 years ago.
Hello this is Dr. Scheer and I am an avian veterinarian. I have read your post about your conure, Lucky and can try to answer your questions for you.
First a couple questions for you that will help me answer you better. Did you vet take any x rays? Did he/she prescribe anything besides antibiotics for him?
It sounds like Lucky has injured the nerves in his spine. If he has fractured a vertebrae that is putting pressure on his spinal nerves, he is unfortunately unlikely to make much improvement. If he has a disc injury or just swelling in the spine, he has about a 75% chance of recovering most of his function. Anti-inflammatory medication like Meloxicam or prednisone can help bring the swelling down in his nerves and speed up the healing process. It can takes months for nerves to regenerate even with treatment so it will be a long road to recovery but often a rewarding one.
I think the swimming in his bath is great physical therapy for him! It is important to try to keep his muscles as strong as you can while he is healing. Try also supporting him while encouraging him to grab things with his feet liking holding him up on his perch or giving him you finger tip to grab.
I hope that information is helpful to you and let me know if I can answer anything further for you.
~Dr. Scheer