Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just found my amazon green on the bottom of her cage.she

Customer Question

I just found my amazon green on the bottom of her cage.she is 46 years old. I got to stand on her feet but can't keep her eyes open and sounds congested. Do you have any advice. I have noticed over the last couple of years that she will sound a little congested,but always bounces back.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A 46 year old Amazon in the condition you've described is critically ill and in need of the attention from an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). You won't be able to treat Sport at home in an effective manner. I would expect Sport to be hospitalized for tests, supplemental feedings, and injectable fluids and antibiotics. Please avoid antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. An ill bird won't drink enough to medicate herself properly.
Until she can be attended to, please keep her in an 80F environment which can be attained by shining a 100W bulb into her partially covered cage - not at night when she needs to rest) - or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting around the base of her cage. Remove her perches and place her food and water on the bottom of the cage with her.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for response and but she passed about 4hrs ago. I was with the whole time. I could tell she was bad. I had her since I was in 6th grade. Never sick in her life we are just devastated didn't see it coming. Thank you so much for your response.
Oh my. My condolences for your loss of Sport. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.
You're quite welcome.