August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

We have a female mustache parrot. Two days ago her breathing

Customer Question

Hello - we have a female mustache parrot. Two days ago her breathing started sounding raspy through her nose holes. There is not any discharge and we have not noticed any change in her behavior. We did move to a new home, however, she is use to traveling around with my son between houses and even in the neighborhood.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. I just came on this morning to find it in the stack of questions. I'm sorry to read of the problem Delilah is having. While this is a relatively recent and subtle sign, your concern is justified, and prompt attention is warranted. Birds instinctively conceal symptoms of illnesses and injuries in the wild state in an effort to avoid attracting the attention of predators. By the time they actually manifest evidence of a problem, it can be quite late in the course of a disease process, sometimes making treatment difficult or ineffective. Stress, like that of moving, can weaken their bodies, causing previously hidden signs to suddenly appear. The most prudent course of action at this time would be to have Delilah examined by a knowledgeable avian veterinarian. You can locate those nearest your new home by going online to www.aav.org/search.
Dietary issues often underlie pet bird health issues, what does Delilah eat for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response. What is the normal course of treatment for a raspy sound coming from her nose holes without any discharge?As far as diet, she eat a seed mixture which contains seed, dried fruits, whole peanuts in the shell. She also enjoys bits of fresh mango.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. The nasal sounds may indicate deposits of dried secretions, an upper respiratory condition, or some other cause. The treatment would, of course, depend on what the cause might be.
Do you give her a spray bath regularly?