Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian with a heavy emphasis on avian medicine
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cockatiel has been cuddling in a corner and making a horrible

Customer Question

My cockatiel has been cuddling in a corner and making a horrible at the other one. She chases the other one and bites at her. Its like she wants left alone. I've had them both for a year and they have never done this before. What is wrong?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Petey. I'm so sorry your birds are having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
I can understand how disturbing and upsetting this must be since your birds have never done this before. Please let me offer the following reasons for why this may be happening...
-This could be associated with reproductive or breeding behavior. In fact, that would be very common.
-One of the birds could be sick or injured. In the wild, birds will drive out a sick or injured bird because they put the whole flock at risk. This instinctive behavior persists in our captive birds.
-Something in the environment might be causing the birds some stress. This could be almost anything... noises, household activity, other pets, diet, changes in the room, changes in the weather.
As you can see, there are a lot of different causes.
I'd advise separating them for now just to make sure no one gets hurt. That will also make it easier to monitor each bird for appetite, droppings, drinking, and activity... as well as any other signs of illness.
Again, I know this is really upsetting to watch... I'm so sorry.
But please do keep in mind that birds are very complicated, intelligent, social creatures who are essentially wild animals (not domesticated). Their behavior is very complex and will change throughout their lifetimes.
The most important thing you can do for them as you cope with their ever-changing behavior is to make sure they are healthy by taking them to an experienced and qualified avian veterinarian at least once a year for a full evaluation.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, I'll reiterate that the most common reason for this type of behavior is that it is associated with sexual maturity and breeding season.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I've provided above.
I want to be as helpful as possible.
If you need help understanding how to accept my answer and rate my response, please let me know.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just one final check to ask what else I may help you with so that you are satisfied with the information I've provided and can click to accept my answer.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Petey. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo