Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

My peking duck was attacked last night by a raccoon. It has

Customer Question

My peking duck was attacked last night by a raccoon. It has wounds on its head, neck and back. The bleeding stopped and blood coagulated and she laid an egg this morning. She seems to be doing ok but I'm not sure what to do.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I apologize for the delay. I was not online at the time you posted your question, and I'm not sure why I was being shown as online. I would like to help you today. At this point, there are two dangers for your duck. One is that she suffered internal injuries. In that case, you might see a gradual weakening, appetite loss, in-coordination, and/or lethargy. Usually, but not always, such symptoms appear within a few hours. The bigger danger now is infection. Raccoon bites are very prone to becoming infected, and tehse infections are often life-threatening. As a first aid measure, I suggest cleaning the wounds with Betadine. Betadine is sold in the first aid departments of discount stores and pharmacies. It would also be a good idea to contact your vet to examine the wounds, and perhaps prescribe a safe oral or injected antibiotic for her. If your duck isstrictly a farm animal, and not a pet, you could go with one of the poultry antibiotics sold in farm stores. I have lost ducks to raccoons before. Once raccoons think they have discovered a potential food source, they usually return, so you might wnat to make sure your duck housing is secure before tonight. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your duck will heal uneventfully. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!