August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

I have a 2 month old baby rainbow lorikeet and he/she wont

I have a 2 month old baby rainbow lorikeet and he/she wont walk properly, most of the time just slumps on the ground, his front toes tend to cross in towards each other but can perch on my finger fine if i put him there.. any ideas?
-- This is a 2 month old chick? Are you hand feeding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you get my reply?

No, nothing came through

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, he is two months old and has most of his feathers, still has a bit if grey fluff on his body under his wings but not much. His wings look ready for flight. he feeds himself now, i give him wet warm wetmix first thing in the morning and again at night, he also has dry mix and water through the day if he wants it, and very good at feeding himself. He hasnt been dna sexed so i dont actually know what sex he is. i noticed online that other lories his age are walking and escaping the cage and getting ready to fly, so i am starting to worry

-- Thanks for the additional info. At 2 months old this little guy, if he were wild hatched, would still be in the nest with mom and dad feeding him. Not until about 7 or 8 months would he be considered 'mature' enough to venture out on his own.

I'm not sure where you're seeing info about lories this young able to be walking, flying and on their own, but as remarkable a source of info the net is, there's a lot of misinformation out there.

Your bird is still a baby. Enjoy his youth (they grow up so fast!) and let him be a chick a while longer.

Here's a site that you can trust the info on:

I'd be happy to follow along with you and your lori as he grows up. All you have to do is use the 'reply' or 'follow up' option in this same question