August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

I have an 11 year old Lovebird. Hes had a hard life. His

I have an 11 year old Lovebird. He's had a hard life. His ex wife beat him up all the time. We separated them. He started picking his feathers when he was about six months old. Two years ago he started having seizures. He's currently on Meloxicam, Zonisamide, Isoxaprine, and Levetiracetam. Our current avian vet believes he has clogged carotid arteries and that is the reason for the seizures. We love this little guy very, very much. We'd do anything to help him. Do you know of any avian vets who specialize in seizure disorders? Our current vet is very good and we don't question her skills. But we'd like to get a second opinion. We do this for ourselves and we want to do this for our bird. He is averaging two seizures a week (that we know of) - and it appears that whether we change the medicine or not he continues with seizures. Any ideas? Anyone who know who's chosen neurology as an avian specialty?
I'll do my best to help you because what you've done by saving this lovey has to be one of the most difficult, heartbreaking thing in your life. I own a rescue/rehab and recently took in an equally abused bird. Fed nothing but wild bird seed and garbage leftovers from fast food meals he slowly went blind and now spends his life in darkness. Beaten so bad he has a useless leg and scissor beak from what a human did while impatient with him.

I know what you're going through and how you'd do anything to alleviate his discomfort, pain and certainly confusion.

With all of this said the fact remains that when it comes to our feathered companions, medical treatments are limited to conditions that happen frequently and/or conditions that have a human application.

This blind bird will remain so because fixing him won't help humans with similarly related blindness see again and blindness is uncommon in birds so it isn't high on the list of conditions to research and find treatments for.

YOUR bird has a better chance of treatment since we see seizures just a bit more often, especially when causation is clogged or impaired arteries.

Here you'll find a DVM's discussion of options:

http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/move-it-continued (by going to this specific page you short cut to the specific subject)

---- It would also be helpful to know where you are. I'm in Northern California - if you were here I'd urge you to get in touch with the world class avian science and veterinary university, UC Davis. If they can't fix it, chances are it just can't be fixed.

If you're not in CA, let me know where you are and I'll look into possibilities for you and your lovey.

Either way, I promise you that I'll stand by you and this bird as long as you need me. You do not need to go through this alone

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciated the empathy, but what I was looking for were names of board certified avian veterinarians who specialize in neurology. UC Davis does not have such a person. If you have a name that would be great. Otherwise, I think we're done.

Hi Victor,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shayna. How is everything going?

S. August Abbott, CAS