August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

my bird has suddenly developed reddish/purple slightly swollen

my bird has suddenly developed reddish/purple slightly swollen ring around both eyes.
No contact to strange botanical, area, food or environment.

No mucous, teary eye or discoloration or disformation of actual retina nor eye itself.
No other symptoms.
Just concerned by look of eyes and sudden onset.
She was outside for an hour mid-morning, gazing at sky but nothing strange.
do birds develop allergic reactions to things in air possibly? Is thi something to be alarmed about? Possible symptom other internal factors?
-- I'm not sure when you first posted this so catch me up and tell me how Yoshi is doing right now

She's a Severe? She's never shown allergic symptoms before?

Her droppings are normal?

Any other birds in the house ? Tell me about how she goes outside. In a cage or on a perch, a tree?

Her eyes are clear and her pupils reactive (they still move from dilated to pinned and such?)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Droppings normal.

Eyes clear and reactive.

Was outside in her portable cage

No previous allergic symptoms.

All normal behavior except her poor eyes!

Appetite normal. Hope it is nothing severe.

Advise appreciated.

I have an 11 yr old Severe myself, part of the permanent residents here at my macaw rescue & rehab. I've seen her eyes do the same thing and it's usually resolved by the next day.

You're doing the right things with the clean water flush and unless there's any drainage or oozing you can let up on that.

Macaws have a tendency to be sensitive to allergens, especially airborne. What you're seeing could be a reaction to pollens, air pollution, smoke, etc..

Sometimes during molting (which is major right now) they can scratch themselves and injure sensitive areas with talons that perhaps haven't been trimmed in a while.

These are just some of the more obvious and common causes. Unfortunately, not the 'only' possibilities.

If this isn't resolved come morning it will be prudent to make an appointment with your vet to have a hands on examination and diagnosis.

The next most common causation would be a respiratory infection. Caught early it's pretty easy to rectify with a course of meds applicable to the diagnosis. If it's a bacterial sourced infection the appropriate antibiotic would be given; if fungal, an antifungal and in some cases both.

At this point though, don't let it worry you. You've done everything right!

I'll be here to support you through any treatment you might have to go through with her, but let's hope for resolution on its own by morning.

------------

Our resident Severe is 'Cookie' and what a spit fire she is! She's also one of the healthiest birds I've ever known despite the same thing happening to her now and then with red rimmed eyes.

Please be sure to let me know how she is in the morning ok?

Can I help with anything else right now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. Yes molting lots right now! She seems better today. I willkeep a watch on condition. Thanks for your advise.

Remarkable isn't it? Birds have amazing healing ability. Sometimes it seems they just want to see us worry

I'm here for you if you have anything else I can help with

I'm just following up on our conversation about Yoshi. How is everything going?

S. August Abbott, CAS