August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

This is for "S augustabbot" My 24 1/2 year old

This is for "S augustabbot" My 24 1/2 year old cockatiel has light bleeding this evening just started what could be the cause? She is continually nesting but does not lay any eggs unless there is a nesting box.

I'm sorry for the delay, but I just now signed on.

Is this bleeding from her vent only? Is it light in color like pinkish red or is it bright red, dark red?

Is it just upon her passing a dropping or is it just coming out ?

Think hard: Any foods that were red colored today? Has she been exposed to anything unusual ?

A nearly 25 year old 'tiel is a wonderful testament to your care

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the bleeding is from hr went only and it's bright red and this happened once before and when I just check her again the bleeding has stopped.

The bleeding was not heavy and at first it was just coming out without any droppings. She did not have any colored food today or ever.

She is very healthy and never been sick in her life and she had 5 babies back in the past. By the way what is the life span of a cockatiel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still waiting to hear from you for my first response, will you get back to me with an answer please? thanks

I'm here. It seems that the system isn't notifying me when a response comes in.

-- When it comes to blood showing in any bird (but especially in a female) - it's pretty important to have a hands on examination by a vet who is qualified to treat birds. Not just someone who sees birds along with dogs and cats, but someone who is predominantly treating birds.

There's a risk of egg binding or dystocia in your little Kiwi. Egg binding is when the egg is stuck along the tract; dystocia is the obstruction of oviposition or cloacal function because of the egg in the distal oviduct.

Both of these conditions are very serious

For right now let's make her an 'intensive care' room ok? Get the bird in a safe, enclosed, secure environment where movement is limited for their own safety and comfort. You'll want a brooder box. This is a sort of ‘intensive care unit' at home.
For a makeshift brooder, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
A heating pad under one half of the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low.
You must be on your way to professional care. Not even I have a lab at home complete with X-ray machine, CT Scanner or MRI and it won’t be doing justice to your companion to try to fix this yourself.
You may offer a few drops of sugar water to the side of their beak with your finger or by eye dropper; or a dab of corn syrup, maple syrup or bit of natural jam/jelly to help with blood sugar levels.
I wouldn’t force fluids or food though until a professional has agreed it’s required and shown you how. The last thing we need is aspiration pneumonia.
A bird may show their weakness, illness and lack of energy one moment, even for a few hours or days - and then “suddenly” seem to be fine. This is their getting a second wind. Finding the strength to ‘mask’ the illness or problem. And since this masking can continue for a while, the underlying issue is only getting worse. The next time you see the bird acting ‘off’, it might be really, really bad.
If your bird is acting ‘off’, no matter what – no matter when, they need to be seen by their vet. Infections and disease are far more successfully and inexpensively treated when tackled early. Unlike mammals, avians don’t fare well with a “watch and wait” protocol.

As for longevity of a 'tiel? About 18 years. So you have clearly been doing something right. She's a very lucky little girl!

-- Please let me know how Kiwi makes out ok? No matter what I will stand by you and support you throughout this ordeal. I understand what you're going through. You are not going through it alone.