S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

Dear Ms. Abbott,I have a goose that has broken right wing.

Dear Ms. Abbott,

I have a goose that has broken right wing. It is broken at the fist joint. Can it be repaired so this poor goose can fly as it was born to. It does eat and drink.
Category: Bird
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 1 year ago.
What a good heart you have! When dealing with injured wildlife the most important thing is to get a professional diagnosis as soon as possible upon finding the animal. In this case, having the bird x-rayed and the break evaluated would be prudent. There are many degrees of breaks or fractures and not all injuries are treated the same.

Given that you strongly feel this is a joint, early treatment 'should' return this goose to the big blue sky where it belongs

----------------

You really need a wildlife vet - and to find one in your area you can probably call any vet in town and ask them for the number to the wildlife rescue service or waterfowl rescue, preserve, etc..

-------------

In the meantime you are doing everything right. Although I would suggest 'no food, no water' if it's been more than 24 hours little goose needs (at least) hydration

Be careful about what you feed.

Choosing a pelleted formula from a feed store is ideal. You can add water to make a mash or feed plain with fresh water available.

Cracked grain is also a good option

Once again though, involve a professional. There's just so much you can do on your own and it sounds like you've done it and done it well.

This is a very lucky goose!

Experience: Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author