S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

Can a green cheek conure beak which upper beak was bit off

Can a green cheek conure beak which upper beak was bit off ever grow back the bird is only 3 months old. He is eating watered down pellet food and taking it with a slight struggle. I'm just wondering if there is hope for him can he adapt to this problem and can it grow back. I'm pretty desperte at this point as it just happend. It hardly was bleeding but it took off pretty much all of the beak.
Category: Bird
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 1 year ago.

-- Unfortunately, regrowing the beak is highly unlikely from what you've described. Still, having him seen ASAP by a vet who does nothing but birds might end up saving his life

I've dealt with this injury before on many psittacines. Sometimes it's possible to built a new beak out of resins and dental materials together with a mold, but even this has to be kept up and maintained for the rest of the bird's life.

A soft diet may be required for life, but there are complications with this too. Check here for nutritional needs and options
www.4animalcare.org/birds

----------

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your dear companion. Getting him seen is vital though. No doubt about that being your first and formost priority

Please let me know how you make out, ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im really desperate at this points and no vets around her are open on weekends. Thank you for the advice. I'm willing to feed him the rest of his life if that what it takes. He's only 3 months old. If this is possible is it extremley expensive. I'm willing to care for him for life even if thats what is takes. The scary part was that the beak came of in a whole piece not cracked or anything. He's breathing fine. I just really want to get my questions answered so i can stop worrying so much.

I understand completely. I honestly do. This happened to an eclectus that came to me for rescue and it might help you to know she lived another 20 years with a partial upper beak and regular 'rebuilding'.

Also for right now:

When there is an urgent care situation with a bird, most cases will require additional heat as stress can create a body temperature loss that can be quite dangerous.
---
First things first: Get the bird in a safe, enclosed, secure environment where movement is limited for their own safety and comfort. You'll want a brooder box. This is a sort of ‘intensive care unit' at home.
---
For a makeshift brooder, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
---
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
---
A heating pad under one half of the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
---
If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
---
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low.
---
You may offer a few drops of sugar water to the side of their beak with your finger or by eye dropper; or a dab of corn syrup, maple syrup or bit of natural jam/jelly to help with blood sugar levels.
---
I wouldn’t force fluids or food though until a professional has agreed it’s required and shown you how. The last thing we need is aspiration pneumonia.
---

The brooder should maintain your dear companion until medical help is seen

Experience: Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
P S

SAVE the beak piece. At this young age there's a remote possibility that if med help is found quickly it could be (for lack of better description) 'put back on' and take root ?

That's a very, very remote possibility, but I'd try

I've got to sign off, but didn't want to leave you. I can feel how anguished you are.

When it comes to vets, it might be expensive, but most have 'emergency' options. This would certainly meet that criteria. It's important though to find a vet that's truly an avian vet (sees mostly birds as their practice)

Try local pet shops for phone numbers of vets that they use or recommend for birds

I'll check back with you first thing when I sign on in a.m..

Wrap the beak piece in a damp paper towel and keep in lower section of refrigerator so it's cool, but not too 'cold'

And you're doing good! You are staying calm which will help your bird stay calm and that's very important. Keep it up