August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

Hi there. Hope you r good Are these normal african grey

Hi there.

Hope you r good

Are these normal african grey droppings see the link below

-- I saw the photo. Is there some reason the droppings are concerning you?

Tell me more about your Grey. How long have you had him; what do you feed? His age?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm being extra cautious, last year i had an african grey anx it died one month after i owned it, because of the beak and feather diseases, and it didn't buy the story that ( he had the b&fd) much because the the vet that i took it to was not that professional. He made a blood test and it was either high or low white blood cells that's it.

My current african grey is eating normally be is veery shy and he only let me scratch his head or feed him sunflower seeds. He is fearful he gets scared of every object i introduce to.
I noticed that his feet grip is weak a bit but maybe because he wasn't getting enough sleep or Maybe because i'm over thinking and scared that i might loose him too

Hi Rahma, I completely understand! I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience and lost your first companion. I would have to agree that making a diagnosis of PBFD with a single blood test is a bit strange.

The good news is that I can absolutely help you do all the right things for this bird. Akili? What does that name mean? It's beautiful!

When it comes to Akili's health you're right to be concerned about sleep time, but the number one most important thing is nutrition.

I'll be happy to work together with you on all of it, so start by telling me what you feed as a normal base diet, what kinds of fresh foods, nuts, etc..

And how do you put him to bed? For how long?

Take your time - the more details you provide, the better,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Aw, Such a relief.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX smart in african sawaheli language.

His diet consist of Veterinarian formulated diets ( fiesta for african grey) and Harrison's bird food. He likes carrots, grapes, he tears the hot pepper apart m not sure if he eats it. There is a cuttlebone in his cage.

He is scared even from trying new food, eating it in front of him helps a bit.

Regarding his sleeping, 3 days ago i got him a sleeping cage because the living room is a bit distributing. I used to take him at 10pm to the store room, but last night 10 min after the sunset he raised one foot and slept, but he would open his eyes when he hear noise thus i asked him to enter his sleeping cage with the help of his fav treat and put him in his sleeping room.

You are nailing this! Especially when you mention that providing a sleep cage is important AND that you're showing him how to eat and try new things by doing it with him. Excellent!

Everything you're describing is perfectly normal so I'd say you can relax and focus more on enjoying this relationship that should last decades into the future

One thing I'd strongly suggest is to find and establish a proper vet. Start out with what's called a 'well bird visit' to establish him and be prepared for an emergency that will ultimately happen in a bird's lifetime

You would obviously be better off with an avian vet, but keep in mind this doesn't mean just 'board certified avian' vets. It means any vet who sees either nothing but birds; or at least mostly birds.

Here's how to find a good one: If you have a Pet Smart, you have Banfield Clinic inside, open 7 days a week and they see birds.
If you have a Pet Co, they have a list of vet names that they use for themselves and are happy to give you, ask for 'bird vets'.
Ask any vet in town who they'd recommend for bird care. Ask any good breeder in town who they use (if they don't use anyone, they are not a good breeder, stay away from them).

Find an avian vet near you

Also, take a look here for some recipes you can eat along with your bird, how to set up a sleep cage and lots more right here

And of course I'm here for you any time. I'm signing off right now but I'm checking my messages every day and will be glad to work with you on anything you need

Keep up the fantastic work!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Hope you are good,
I wanted to ask you about Akili i really don't know how to get him inside his sleeping cage without forcing him.

He is still scared of me, now he doesn't allow me to scratch his head anymore because, of the sleeping cage and the bad experiences. He wouldn't eat treat if i put him in his sleeping cage as a reward. Simply he doesn't trust me anymore that much,

-- Sorry for the delay in responding, but the system didn't notify me of this new question. They usually require a new thread/post

The most important thing to work on is the 'step up' command. Once your bird steps up easily and happily you can better transfer him anywhere you'd like.

If you've been allowing him free roam, especially on his cage or anywhere above your eye line, you need to change that

These birds are usually very happy to cooperate and they want to be praised and appreciated.

Work more on gentle touch, just sitting with him on your arm, happy moments of bonding and interaction

Make going to 'bed' a happy event. Get excited when you say it and always be sure there's a treat in his bowl in the cage - a couple of cashews, almonds, walnut, etc. (no peanuts; no sunflower seeds)

Just take your time, be patient, be kind, speak softly and in just 2 or 3 days you'll have him cooperating

check here for more tips on how to get your bird to behave better