Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience with pet, wildlife, and zoological avian collections.

Bird having seizures

Bird having seizures (ie. flapping, turning in a circle without sense of direction. tilting head upwards), found lying at the bottom of the cage. Continuously turns it's head (as though it cannot see or just can't stop doing that). Closes his eyes. Heart rate seems to be normal. What can be done, and if possible, what is the likely disorder?

before seizures occurred, bird seemed to eat constantly (he was obtained only two weeks ago). I noticed as soon as I picked him up that I could feel his sternum/ribcage area, and I made a comment about this to my family. He continued to eat vigorously, and could often be found in the food dish. I noticed that every time I picked him up, despite all of his eating, he weighed no more than he did before.

Dr. Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help answer your questions and try to determine what is wrong with your bird. Can you tell me what kind of bird this is?

Dr. Gwen :

I see that there is more information here, and that Tobi is a young parakeet. Based on what you have described here, there are a number of health concerns that can lead to seizures. Seizures can be life-threatening and I would strongly recommend that you take Tobi to a veterinarian as soon as possible. His thin body condition is also a great concern, and may be the reason for his seizures. Even if you do not have an avian veterinarian near you, please consider going to a small animal vet for help.

Hi Emily,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tobi. How is everything going?

Dr. Gwen