Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience with pet, wildlife, and zoological avian collections.
21470562

My pet female indian ringneck parrot twitches a lot. Is this

My pet female indian ringneck parrot twitches a lot. Is this normal or is she sick?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help answer your questions about Goldie. Can you describe the twitching a bit more? Is it the whole body or a focal area?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's her whole body.

Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thanks for letting me know. How long has she been having the twitching? Is it constant or does she twitch a minute, then stop for awhile?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She twitches most of the time but does stop occasionally. Mainly notice it when she's out of her cage & clucking on my lap.

Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 2 years ago.
Does she seem to be breathing okay? How is her appetite and does her feces appear normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Her breathing seems fine. She's on & off her food & she is often quite loose in her feces.

Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the added information. It is difficult to determine what is exactly happening with her at this point. Some female birds will twitch and quiver, especially towards their owners, as part of courtship behavior. The concern is that her behavior could also be associated with some fairly concerning health issues. Respiratory problems can also look like a bird twitching, so if you are seeing her doing this behavior in her cage or in a constant manner, that is more concerning. Birds can also have seizures, but based on what you have described it does not sound like she is having seizures. I do think that if the odd twitching behavior continues, you should take her to a veterinarian for a thorough examination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for your help. We'll take her to a vet asap. to make sure.

Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 2 years ago.
Good luck with her. Hopefully she is displaying extremely affectionate behavior and it is not anything serious.
Dr. Gwen, Avian Veterinarian
Experience: Ten years experience with pet, wildlife, and zoological avian collections.
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 2 years ago.
Hi Robyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Goldie. How is everything going?

Dr. Gwen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for your help. The vet thoroughly examined Goldie & she is very healthy. It was just affection after all. We've bought her a couple of chewable toys and varied her diet a little & she's quite content.