Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian experienced in avian and exotic animals.

My Senegal parrot has been bitten by my dog. My neighbor is

My Senegal parrot has been bitten by my dog. My neighbor is an MD and has looked at him. The leg that was bitten is swollen but not distorted in shape. The skin is red. MD will give me a prescription for augmentin, but we need the dosage. The bird weighs 13 grams.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hinson : Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.
Dr. Hinson : The dose is 125mg/kg by mouth every 12 hours
Dr. Hinson : Basically needs 1.6 mg of Augmentin every 12 hours. It's going to be a very small amount. You will need a TB syringe to dose it appropriately. Your MD friend should be able to figure the rest out from here.
Dr. Hinson : I'm sorry this happened to Sunny. Let me know if you have more questions!
Customer:

thank you. So you don't think I should get him a shot first?

Dr. Hinson : Not unless you take him to see an avian veterinarian. The dosages for a bird that size are so small your MD friend will not have anything appropriate to give him. You are probably fine doing the oral Augmentin as long as he seems otherwise OK (eating, drinking, etc).
Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

I can take to vet, but it's $100 and if I can do it without that and still do the best for him I will

Dr. Hinson : If he doesn't seem to be acting normal you should definitely get him to a vet but if he seems like he's doing OK then I think it's fine to give him the Augmentin.
Customer:

OK he actually is surprisingly normal considering what happened. My problem has been to keep him from trying to climb around which I solved by putting him in a carrier. Also he is cheerful and friendly.

Customer:

He can't use his foot, it's hanging limp, but leg doesn't look bent out of shape.

Dr. Hinson : That sounds great. I would give the Augmentin for 7 days.
Customer:

OK

Dr. Hinson : Are there any puncture wounds?
Customer:

yes

Dr. Hinson : Likely he isn't using the leg because of inflammation and pain.
Customer:

OK, let's hope it gets back to normal. many thanks

Dr. Hinson : You are welcome! I wish you and Sunny the best!
Dr. Hinson : How is Sunny today? Did you have any more questions?
Customer:

Hi, in the end I took him to the bird vet because it was hard to fill the MD prescription since it's not his domain. They gave me Baytril and a painkiller plus portioned up the medications. He seems cheerful enough and is eating. I have not checked the inflammation yet. It was helpful getting your advice (and his) because the vet wanted to take x-rays for $195, which I opted out of as the leg will heal up on its own, even if broken. She wouldn't splint without an X-ray but I am keeping him in a cat carrier which limits his use of it. His behavior is very normal.

Dr. Hinson, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian experienced in avian and exotic animals.
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sunny. How is everything going?

Dr. Hinson