Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience with pet, wildlife, and zoological avian collections.

Hi, I have a pet peach face love bird and recently noticed

I have a pet peach face love bird and recently noticed it has a very large swollen lump at the rear, it looks very infected and he keeps biting at it, any help on what this could be and what i should do about it would much appreciated thanks.

Dr. Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I will try to answer your questions and help you with your lovebird today.
Birds all have a gland on their back at the base of their tail, called the uropygial gland. Sometimes with gland becomes impacted or infected, which may be what is happening with your bird. Most of the time, if it is a straight-forward infection, it will resolve fairly quickly with cleaning, antibiotics, and pain medications. Sometimes they are bad enough that they need surgery, and some cases are more serious than an infection and we will find a tumor there causing the problem.
I would recommend that you take your bird to an avian vet - if you do not have an avian vet in the area, most small animal vets can look at the wound and prescribe the proper medications. Without being able to examine your lovebird in person, it would be difficult to tell if this is a very serious condition or not.
Good luck, I hope that helps!