Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

how do you stop Bluebirds from flying into your windows

Customer Question

how do you stop Bluebirds from flying into your windows?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Are the birds crashing into the windows and being knocked on the ground, or are they deliberately flying into the windows as if attacking them?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they are deliberately flying into the windows
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. This behavior is actually common in both male and female bluebirds. If you'd like to see how common, run a search on YouTube for birds attacking windows. The birds see their own reflections, along with reflections of trees and shrubs and sky, and they think others of their own species have invaded their territory. Females, as well as males, do defend their territory, and it's not unheard of for them to fight over males, either.

As for stopping the behavior, that could be a problem. Putting anything on the inside of the window only makes the reflections on the outside more clear, so drawing a shade isn't going to help. Many people find the raptor decals and other decals don't help either. The purpose of the decals is to keep birds from flying into the window by mistake. The bluebird isn't flying into the window; it is attacking a reflection of itself. The bird isn't going to care of there is a decal as long as that other bird (in her/his mind) is still in its territory. Some people have resorted to covering the entire outside of the window. It works, but that's too drastic for most people. You can also buy anti-glare coverings that you'll be able to see through, but will stop the reflections. Check with the places that sell window treatments for cars.

If the bluebird isn't driving you crazy, let it attack. While once in awhile a bird will injure its beak doing this, that's unusual, and no harm is really being done to the bird when it does this. You'll have to make a decision about what to do based on your own tolerance for the behavior.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)