Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

does the canary male has to mate the female for each egg before

does the canary male has to mate the female for each egg before the female lay its eggs? or just the initial mating before laying the eggs will fertilize all the eggs?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question.

Some additional information will be useful.

How do you know the eggs are not fertilized - is it because some are not hatching?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I test them with flash light. And I have no problem breeding, but my question is a genral question. Some breeders me the male has to be with the female until she lays all the eggs. I have been told if I remove the male from the female after she lays the first egg the other eggs will not get fertilized
Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying. The male does not have to be with the female the whole time. One mating is enough to fertilize all the eggs. In birds, the female is able to store the sperm until an egg is ready. The egg has to be fertilized at a certain point of development. There is no way sperm could get into an egg with a shell on it. Mating can occur three weeks before the first egg is laid and still fertilize all the eggs, but most canaries mate a few days before the first egg is laid. In many birds, one mating will be enough to fertilize two separate clutches.

The embryo in a fertilized egg doesn't start developing until it is incubated at the proper temperature. If the mother pushes one egg to the side or has so many she can't properly sit on all of them, some embryos may never develop. If a particular male has low fertility, not all of the eggs may be fertilized. Some eggs may be defective and unable to be fertilized. It's also possible for an embryo to start developing and then simply be resorbed into the fluids in the eggs. This is most common if an embryo is defective in some way. It's normal to find a few eggs that don't have embryos in them. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you much success.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience: Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.