Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

how do you sex green cheek conures

how do you sex green cheek conures?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

There are only two reliable ways to sex these birds. One is to have a veterinarian do what is called surgical or probe sexing. The other is not invasive and is what I prefer. That is DNA sexing.You buy a kit, which comes with instructions, and you can do it at home. Feather samples are used.There are several companies that sell the kits online. Here are two of them:

The only other way to know the sex is if a female lays eggs. Many of them will lay eggs at maturity even if no male is present. I imagine you were hoping to be able to sex the birds based on markings, etc. Unfortunately, there is no way to do that. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)