Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.

I want to use Wazine dewormer on my small flock of Silkies,

Customer Question

I want to use Wazine dewormer on my small flock of Silkies, but right now, I don't have a way to separate some 3 week old peeps from the rest of the flock. Will the Wazine dosage for adult birds harm the babies?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Its only licensed for chickens over 6 weeks of age, and i wouldn't advise its use in 3 week old chicks- it may have side effects.

I'd actually recommend a much better wormer called 'Flubendazole' (Flubenvet) as this is safe, and can also be used in laying hens, whereas Wazine cannot.

Regards Andrea

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Apparently, Flubenvet is not available in the US. I have already consulted my vet, had a fecal sample done, and was told to use Wazine. My question was basically for an opinion about the safety of its use in younger chicks. Often vets will not give any advice that does not follow strict lable instructions or (extra-label use) and that's understandable. I will simply wait until they are old enough. Thanks for your answer. Hopefully I can send this reply and still accept answer without you having to reply.

I didn't realize that you couldn't get Flubenvet in the US, what a shame, its very good- i use it with my own small flock.

The main reason with waiting with the Wazine till the chicks are older is that it can cause some neurological side effects in very young animals- so its not just that it would be off label- i wouldn't want you to make any of the chicks ill inadvertently.

All the best Andrea