Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Member of the Association of Avian Veterinarians. Extensive avian clinical experience.
9168612

I have a canary that I thought was male but today she layed

I have a canary that I thought was male but today she layed an egg. The problem is she's laying them (I think more are coming) in her food dish. I tried putting some cotton balls in there but she won't have anything to do w/ them. Thoughts?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 4 years ago.
She will lay eggs in whatever she can use as a "nest." She's chosen to use the food dish. Some people leave the eggs in the cage to try and suppress her urge to lay more (this doesn't always work). Other people immediately remove the eggs. Of course, if she's housed without another male bird, they are infertile eggs and are not going to hatch so there is no harm leaving them in there. You could give her a nest (they sell small nests at pet stores) or put some shredded paper on the bottom of the cage and move the egg to the nest you provide. I personally just remove the unwanted eggs. If she continues to lay more than 3 or 4 eggs, you will want to see your avian vet for supportive care (calcium) and possibly an injection to suppress her urge to lay eggs. It is normal for her to lay a clutch of eggs (anywhere from 1 to 4 or so eggs) two or three times a year. If she is laying more, it could be problematic for her. For now, either provide nesting material and move the egg to the nest, or just remove the egg and see if she says any more. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions about this.
Dr. Angela, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: Member of the Association of Avian Veterinarians. Extensive avian clinical experience.