Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Member of the Association of Avian Veterinarians. Extensive avian clinical experience.

Our quaker parrot was attacked by our dogs today. He does

Our quaker parrot was attacked by our dogs today. He does not appear to be bleeding, but he did lose all of his tail feathers. He is standing, eating, and drinking. We tried taking him to two different animal hospitals, both of which turned him away because they deal only with cats and dogs.

We also called the two "24 hour" emergency avian hospitals in our city (Indianapolis).One was very rude and said "good luck since it's a holiday weekend"...the other was nice and told us to get saline and baby aspirin, but she did not see it necessary to see him.

How long after the attack would he start showing symptoms of infection and/or internal bleeding?

We love him very much and being turned away from the people who claim to want to help him is breaking our hearts.

Dear "Customer" You are correct in seeking veterinary care for your Quaker who was attacked today by your dogs. I have always maintained a policy that any bird who has been attacked by a dog or cat should be treated with prophylactic antibiotics because a small puncture wound can exist but not be readily seen and the infection can lead to serious complications if left untreated. If you are determined to get care for him, you can drive him to Animal 911 in Skokie, Illinois. They are a 24 hour veterinary hospital that will definitely help your bird. It is a 3.5 hour drive in each direction which is, of course, quite a trek but may be worth it since this is a long holiday weekend and you won't be able to find an open avian vet until Tuesday morning.

The problem with a "wait and see" approach in birds is that they are often VERY SICK by the time they start showing external signs of illness such as infection. It can take anywhere from a few hours to 48 hours for signs to start showing in the case of a bite wound.

So again, I applaud your effort to find a vet today who would see your bird.

There is a web site for the Association of Avian Veterinarians

You can search this web site for avian vets in your area, call their phone number now and see if they have a referral to an emergency avian vet closer to your home.

For some reason, when I search for avian vets in Indiana, my computer just freezes.

I get plenty of results when I search in Illinois so maybe there is a southeastern Illinois vet closer than Skokie, which is north of Chicago.

At any rate, your approach with childrens aspirin and saline wash is better than nothing at all. But antibiotics are the best approach to this problem (of course, accompanied by a physical exam). I hope this is helpful information and I am sorry you were not seen today. Please let me know if you have more questions about this.

If you found this information helpful, please press the Accept button.

If you have more questions, press Reply and we will continue our discussion until all of your questions have been answered.
Take care and I hope your Quaker will be okay. Take care.