Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Member of the Association of Avian Veterinarians. Extensive avian clinical experience.

my parakeet has been listless since Monday and seems to have

my parakeet has been listless since Monday and seems to have difficulty moving around. He is crouching low on the perch as if favoring his feet. He is 12 years old
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 6 years ago.
have read this posting about your 12 year old male parakeet who is listless and favoring his right foot. I understand you have put millet spray and water close to his perch. It is possible that he has injured his foot or leg in the cage (getting the foot stuck between the bars and injuring it during the frantic struggle to get it unstuck). It is also possible that he may have more serious problems such as kidney issues. When birds have kidney problems they have swelling in their abdomen. This swelling can put pressure on the sciatic nerve and cause lameness. Other causes of abdominal swelling are tumors in the abdomen or fluid accumulation in the abdomen that can occur in some diseases we see in older parakeets. If you are able, it would be good to get him to an avian vet who can examine him and diagnose the cause of his lethargy and lameness. If this is an impossibility, just try to put him in an incubator at home (glass fish tank with a reptile red heat light and soft material such as a thick cloth on the floor). Do not put any perches in the incubator. He will stand on the soft floor. Put food and water in shallow dishes on the floor of the incubator. If it is an injury, it should heal over time. If he does not improve, or if his condition worsens, he will need to see an avian vet for diagnosis. I hope this is helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have more questions about this. I do hope he will be feeling better very soon. Take care.