Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
10379358

Help ! my birds neck is swollen, i have never seen it like

Help ! my birds neck is swollen, i have never seen it like that before, she is breathing rapidly,her chest and abdomen are dark purple.. she picked off all her feathers years ago so it is easy for me to see her chest and abdomen... how can i help her??
Category: Bird
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

Can you feel the swelling in the neck- is it hard? If so it's probably an impacted crop- this is serious and the blockage needs to be relieved. I'd certainly advise seeing a vet about it- but you could try syringing a small amount of mineral oil (liquid paraffin) into the bird to try and loosen the blockage.

If the swelling feels soft and movable, then it's probably a ruptured 'clavicular airsac' that is causing the problem- birds don't have lungs like ours, they have lots of air sacs, and if they get a small puncture in them, then the air builds under the skin- this air will need draining by inserting a needle into it- but again it's really a vet job- although any vet could attempt this, not just an avian specialist.

Hope this is of some help

Regards Andrea

Andrea Roberts, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.