Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

My cockatail is shivering and has fluffed up feathers and seems

My cockatail is shivering and has fluffed up feathers and seems to be constipated as I dont see any fresh droppings
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. Do you still need help. If so, some additional information will be useful.

How is your cockatiel doing now?

Is he eating and drinking?

Are there any droppings stuck to his vent?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he is eating not as much as usual no there are no dropping stuck before he started to look i noticed that his droppings were dark green
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. Not eating as much as usual and fluffed up feathers only tell us that something is wrong, without letting us know what it is. They are general symptoms. Birds tend to hide signs of illness, so by the time symptoms like you're seeing show up, the bird is often quite ill. This is probably more than simple constipation, but I'll give you two things to try. One is that you can put a small drop of olive or canaola oil in the side of your cockatiel's beak. The other is to set him in a warm bath and gently massage his vent and abdomen. These measures may help him pass some droppings. If they don't work quickly, it will be best to see an avian vet. Your cockatiel may have ingested a foreign object, or he may have a blockage from eating grit or foods that didn't digest well. A tumor can also cause a blockage.

Here is a site that will help you find a vet near you:

http://aav.org/vet-lookup/

In the meantime, make sure your cockatiel is kept warm. If there's a warmer room in the house where you can move his cage to, that would be a good thing to do. You could also cover three sides and the top of the cage to keep warmth in. Another option is to use a clean sock, and fill it 2/3 with plain, raw white rice. Tie the open end and microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes. Then shake to distribute the heat. Make sure it's not so hot that it could burn your bird. Put it in the cage for added warmth. You can re-warm it when it gets cool. He can stay near it if he's a bit chilly, and move away if he gets too warm. I would also give him some Pedialyte from a syringe. Just put the liqiod at the bottom of his mouth.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be something minor and easily treated.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click once on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)

Edited by MsAM on 11/2/2009 at 8:09 PM EST
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience: Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.