Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
10379358

Have a budgie with a prolapsed egg, and no emergency avian

Customer Question

Have a budgie with a prolapsed egg, and no emergency avian vets are open (it's about 4:30 local time). And boy, is it prolapsed. The nearest place opens in several hours. Is there any way to tide her over until then, or help get the egg out ourselves?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 7 years ago.

Hi there. This advice may be too late to help, but i've just logged on and seen your question. She sounds eggbound, and if it looks like the pic you posted then she certainly is.

Look at this link www.budgieplace.com/faq_eggbinding.html

I've heard that placing them in warm water helped them pass the egg, and this article seems to back that up, as it will help lubricate and encourage the egg to pass naturally. If the egg breaks it's disaster, as she may get 'egg peritonitis' a very serious infection.

Anyway, i hope this helps you out, but you may be at your vets by the time you retrieve this- i hope she's ok!!

Andrea

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just got back from the vet, and he was able to get the egg out! Now it's just a matter of time to see if she'll survive the night -- the vet said she had a 50-50 chance which was better than I expected.

After I posted the question, I put her in a bowl of warm-hot water, changing it when it got too cool, and brought her drinking water and a millet spray (and her boy-budgie crush) nearby. I thought the warm water would help the membrane expand (it didn't), support the weight of the egg so it wasn't just hanging from her, or at the very least keep her warm or relax her. It seems to have also kept the membrane from drying out until we got her in. Seems like you're right, and warm water is a good thing to try in times like this (although I didn't read your answer until after).

I thought about puncturing the egg with a needle-pin and letting the insides drain out, but decided against it. I'm glad I didn't try it, as it sounds dangerous.

Thank you indeed for your response, though, even though it came while I was at the vet :)
So glad to hear that the egg is out- i do hope she's ok! Andrea