Dr.Lisa
Dr.Lisa, Bird Vet. Former Zoo Birdkeeper
Experience:  26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 35 yrs! Zookeeper for 1 yr.
11043108

How do I get my African Grey to stop shreiking and chirping

Customer Question

How do I get my African Grey to stop shreiking and chirping to the point i can't stand it? And, why is she doing this?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr.Lisa replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank-you for your question.

Parrots by nature, squawk, screech, whistle, and make any other loud noise that they can; that is one way in which they communicate with their flock members. In captivity, they consider humans to be flock members, and so they do all these things frequently for attention. In answer to your question, she is shrieking because that is how birds communicate.

I have lived and worked with parrots for over 25 yrs, and I have never known a quiet one unless it was terribly ill.

Here is a website for more information: http://www.avianweb.com/noisyparrots.html.

If she is getting yelled 'at', she may get scared. It is very hard to undo this fear unless you are totally committed to her comfort, because greys are supersensitive when it comes to having their feelings hurt. Also, if the dogs start to bark, she may start 'barking' too, or shrieking just as loud to join in with the 'flock'. This is a natural reaction.

Here is a behavior site online that might be able to help you:[email protected] If you are in over your head with this bird please let us know so that we can find other ways to help you.

If you find this answer helpful please click on the green ACCEPT icon. If you have more questions about this problem please click on 'reply' instead.

Good-luck,
Dr. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it OK to transfer her to a room less audible in the house so her shreiks arent so unbearable? Otherwise we have no problems with her, she very loving and affectionate, and is well behaved for first time bird owners.
Expert:  Dr.Lisa replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thanks for your answer.

If you transfer her you are giving her what she wants: attention. You would be better off ignoring her while she shrieks, then, as soon as she's quiet lavish her with praise and reward her.

You would do really well to contact this website (;[email protected]) it's free, and it is a fabulous training resource. She really shouldn't be punished for making noise - it's a parrot way to get attention. Maybe you could give her a new toy while she's being quiet, or a tasty treat that she needs to work at getting to.

It might also help to have the humans of the house practice talking quietly for a while to see if your bird will start to imitate the quiet tones. (It's worth a try!).

Please click on the green ACCEPT icon. If you have more questions about this problem click on 'reply' instead. Thank=you.

Good-luck,
Dr. Lisa

Expert:  Dr.Lisa replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thanks for your answer.

Please click on the green ACCEPT icon. If you have more questions about this problem click on 'reply' instead. Thank-you.

Good-luck,
Dr. Lisa