Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

Can anyone help with with what antibiotics I need for my chickens

Can anyone help with with what antibiotics I need for my chickens? They have started sneezing and have a clear discharge from their noses once in awhile. Their appetites are great. Their eyes are bright and they seem happy. At least one has brown poop which I am told is bad. They are all less than 1 year old. Various breeds.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

The Neomycin may help the chicken with the poop problems. It is effective for gastrointestinal problems. The following site has a discussion on what different colors and textures in bird (including chickens) droppings mean. It will help you determine how much of a problem your chicken has.

For respiratory infections, terramycin is often used. It should be available in farm supply stores, and you can get it online. If you need an online source, let me know. It is given at a rate of 200mgs. to 1 gram (about 1 tablespoon) per gallon of water for 10 to 14 days. If the hens are laying, you should not consume the eggs during the time of treatment and for 5 days afterward.

Aureomycin is also used for respiratory infections. It's most often used in the form of medicated feed. The withdrawal period for egg use is also five days after ending treatment.

Tylan 50 is also effective, but it has to be injected.

You can read more about antibiotic use in chickens at these sites:

If you have more questions about this, just elt me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you’re able to get a more effective natibiotic.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I exchanged the Neomycin for Manna Pro Aureomycin Medicated Crumbles with which I added .8 oz per 1 lb of lay mash. I will medicate them for 7-14 days and then wait an additional 5 days before we consume the eggs again. Hopefully this will do the trick!
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
I hope so, too, and you're welcome. Please don't click on accept again. Thank you for accepting above. I'm glad you didn't have any trouble exchanging the medications. Good luck treating the illness.