NancyH, Wild Bird Expert
Experience:  Rehabbing wild birds, raising nestlings, study and observation of many species

I have several hundred Tennesse Red quail that I hatched off

I have several hundred Tennesse Red quail that I hatched off last summer. I can not tell the difference between the male and the female Tennessee Reds. I want to separate them for producing eggs this coming spring and need to be able to separate the sexes. Also can you point me to any publications that might help my become more knowledgable about the Tennessee Reds ?
Category: Bird
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

This magazine looks like what you want for game bird raising info

I'm seeing a variety of ways of sexing this variant and one is some feel the white bib is on the males, or the black head markings is on the males. Another said the easiest way is to band the ones you see trying to mount other birds as males. Most of the males have a black mask and a white patch on their chest but not all of them.

And this site has a book on sexing all birds

Hope this helps you!