August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

My Parakeet birds foot has broken today. what should I do

Customer Question

My Parakeet bird's foot has broken today. what should I do? Is that going to heal by itself or I have to it to a Vet?
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 7 years ago.
What happened?

Is there any visible injury or bleeding?

Is this an only bird? How is he handling this now?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i don't see any bleeding. it's foot is not moving at all. the bird just stands on one foot. also the injured foot . I tried to use a peace of fabric arround of its foot, but i can't see the broken part.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In what cases the bird can't move their foot beside of breaking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I didn't get any answer from you.
I'm here - my computer is acting sluggish and I may need to re boot, so thanks for being patient. I'll be right back
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know what kind of additional information do you want. I told you what know.

Thank you for your patience as I addressed a bit of a glitch in the computer here.

As unusual as it may sound, when a bird loses control of their feet, grasping ability or balance, it is very likely the result of an internal problem.

Many owners will be convinced their bird has somehow broken their foot or leg when they see these symptoms of inability to stand (or difficulty), perching problems, loss of balance or holding their leg/foot clenched.

Let’s go over a few of the more common:

Sometimes a tumor on the kidney will not appear on the outside of the body, but other symptoms such as limping, the loss of use of a leg (or both) and/or imbalance might occur. This happens when the tumor presses on certain nerves.

Renal Adenocarcinoma may invade the ischiatic nerves and constrict them, causing (disuse) atrophy of one or both legs.

Tumors can also be in a male’s testes or female’s ovaries and there are not always obvious changes until later on when the growth is more dominant inside.

Other indications that there may be tumor activity would be a change in cere color, weight loss, changes in droppings (often becoming pasty, soiling around the vent) and just subtle, overall changes that owners may sense more than actually see or be able to describe.

Fatty liver disease is something that is often seen in a bird on a seed only or predominantly seed diet. No matter how much the manufacturer insists they are fortified and healthy, they are misleading all of us.

Skeletal problems, deficiencies and even toxicities can cause a loss of balance and restlessness in some birds, as well as the more common symptoms such as breathing difficulties, open mouthed breathing and so on.

A surprise to many owners is that a crop problem can be behind the symptoms too. Anything that contributes to an electrolyte imbalance/nutritional

As with all things that might go wrong with our feathered friends, early intervention gives us a better chance at keeping them around a bit longer.

Blood chemistries and X-rays should be expected (and encouraged).

It sounds like you care very much for this little one - and I hope it works out well. By noticing this early, you made a very big and positive difference. Keep up the very good care! .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know for sure that it's the foot or some other injorie, because it happened after the trauma. right ater that it's foot is not working
It doesn't seem that the part about known trauma came through.

The only thing your question indicates is that you think it's broken, but nothing about what happened.

Whatever additional info you can offer about the events leading up to this would be very helpful.

What happened to him?