Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

How do you Keep Blue Jays away from bird feeders

Customer Question

How do you Keep Blue Jays away from bird feeders ?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

There isn't anything you can do that will chase away blue jays without also scaring away all the other birds. There are however, some things you can do that will cut down on the number of blue jays and the amount of food they'll eat at your feeders. Blue jays prefer platform feeders, and they like large seeds (like sunflower) and nuts best. You can substitute small seeds on your platform feeders, and you can change the type of feeders you use. Tube feeders are very difficult for blue jays to hold onto, and are more suitable for smaller birds. There are also feeders that are enclosed inside a cage with openings only large enough for smaller birds to go through. These are often sold as squirrel-proof feeders, but most will work well to keep the blue jays out, too. Here's an online source for these types of feeders:

You can probably also find them in local garden stores. I put out sunflower seeds, peanuts, and cracked on my tray feeders, and blue jays, cardinals, and mourning doves frequent them. Because those are blue jays favorite foods, they tend to leave my other feeders alone, so providing them with their own area is another possibility. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.