Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

Budgie unwell. Cere crusty and one swollen foot which has what

Budgie unwell. Cere crusty and one swollen foot which has what appear to be small growths on toes. Have applied Ivermectin between shoulder blades.

Some additional information may help me to answer your question.

Concerning the growths on the toes:

Do they look scaly?

Are they the same color as the toes?

What type/brand ivermectin did you use?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The swelling is not scaly.

Seems as if there is inflamation beneath the skin where the claw extends from the toe.

It is the same colour as the skin with two small brown dots.

The swelling is bulbous i.e round and growing in size, presently approx one eighth inch diameter.

Have used PHARMAQ Ivermectin Drops O.1%

Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds as if your bird has more than one health concern. The crustiness on the cere may be scaly mites. Ivermectin is generally used to treat them, but topical applications to the skin won't work. The mites burrow in so far that the medication doesn't reach them. Oral medications are needed.

Scaly mites can also cause what looks like a growth on the feet, but what you describe doesn't fit with that. Your bird may have an abscess or an infection. If the swollen area feels soft and filled with liquid, it's probably an abscess. Parakeets are also prone to tumors, so that is another possibility, though it seems less likely.

You must provide excellent care for your bird because she has reached an elderly age for a parakeet. Because of her advanced age, and the multiple possibilities that could account for her difficulties, I would recommend that you see a qualified avian vet. This link will take you to a directory:

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your bird will reach a full recovery.