NancyH, Wild Bird Expert
Experience:  Rehabbing wild birds, raising nestlings, study and observation of many species

What kind of bird is this

Customer Question

Black & White Wing Tips Lime Green Head
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

Is this a wild bird or a pet bird?

If it's a wild bird, in what region do you live?

If it's possible, could you post a photo? If you can, just click on the tree icon in the toolbar to upload it it. If you can't, just post the other info I requested.

Thank you.

Thank you for the additional information.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this is wild bird
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

worcester,ma 01609 central,ma

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can't get a photo of because I don't have any cremas
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
I'm posting a photo for you to look at. If this isn't the bird, will you describe to me how it's different from the one you have seen?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Wrong back color,wings,all wrong
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Black&brown wings,neon green on its back
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It uses sunflower for nesting material,looks like a finch
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like it's probably in the finch or vireo family. I'm posting a few more photos for comparison. Let me know if we're getting closer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Lime Green Cap,wrong sorry Neon Green Cap like a black capped Chickadee

I don't have a digital camera to take a photo of it

Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry I can't be more help, but without a photo, I'm afraid this may be impossible. I also can't find descriptions of any native bird that fits this description. The ones i posted above are about as green as they get. Some tanager species would have the green, but also have bright blue and other colors on it. If you've only seen one bird, it's possible that it's an escaped domestic finch. They come in many bright colors. Since I can't seem to find your bird, I'm going to opt out of your question to open it up to some other experts. Perhaps someone else will be able to help. Please don't click on accept until you receive an answer you're happy with.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Wrong Color,Brown & Black Wings Neon Green Cap.

Sorry again, wrong birdFoot in mouth

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
brown wings,neon green from the back of the head to its tail bone
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

Let me ask you some more questions which may help me picture what you are seeing.

The wings are black or brown with white stripes?

The head is a bright green all the way down the back?

Is the bill very heavy or long and thin?

What color is the abdomen or chest area?

You are seeing it at a seed feeder? Is it new or has it been there looking just like this all summer?

Is it sparrow size or smaller, or more like robin or starling size?

Has it got a long tail or a short one? does it have a fork in the tail?

Does it have any yellow or red on it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Brown,Green is all the way down its back,small like a sparrow,light tan,it fed off of my sunflower stalk,first time ever seeing it,Like a robin,long flat tail,no other colors that I can see,that's all I saw

Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

If it had a short tail I'd suspect a female or juvenile goldfinch but they have a short tail with a fork in it.

If it is robin sized then you may have seen an evening grosbeak juvenile or female while they are usually a yellowy color they can vary some in what you see. But again they have a relatively short tail.

There are Monk parakeets loose in MA and this might be one of those or this might be an escaped parakeet. Either of those could have the bright color you are describing with the darker wings be about the size you saw and have a long tail. Usually when Parakeets fly you can see their long tail has a flare of width to it near the tip.

graphic Some look like this but there are color variations in the Monk

so check out the color here

If you see it again or it comes back for more seed you might contact the Audobon society to have a birder come and take a look to see if you have a rare visitor or an escaped bird

This is the closest audubon center in your area

XXXXXbr />Worcester, MA 01604(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not even close sorry
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

As there are no native birds that are neon green its likely an escaped something.

All the typically green birds that might migrate through this time of year are more olive, lots smaller than you describe and are not seed eaters as they are warblers which eat insects and are pretty small. You can check out a yellow warbler here

in its autumn plumage.

and an evening grosbeak female here

In the robin size area female grosbeaks would be the most finch like bird and the Evening Grosbeak is often confused as a big gold finch and the females and juveniles of that species are often a greenish color.

I grew up in MA and was a member of a birdwatching club there so am really familiar with the birds you would typically see even during migrations. The brightest green bird is a hummingbird and that is long beaked and far too small and doesn't eat seeds.

You might see if the local lost and found ads list any missing birds in your area.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Wrong bird you showed the same one to me yesterdayUndecided
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

I've been thinking about it and if you mistook a shade of yellow for bright green it might be a kinglet

But overall with the color you describe I'm thinking it is an escaped pet bird of some type.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Still the wrong birdUndecided
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

I believe its an escaped pet if none of the above birds are correct.

You are describing a bird that is never seen naturally in the area you live in.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We didn't say it was a seed eater,it stripped a piece of the sunflower stalk,it looked like it was building a nest of some sortUndecided
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

You said it had a short beak and looked like a finch. Finches are seed eaters as are most short beaked birds.

The color you say it was does not match the colors of birds in MA so I suspect it was an escaped bird.

This is the wrong time of year for nest building too for native birds which again makes an escaped bird more likely.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't think it's an escaped bird,I had a friend that used to raise birds for a living
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

Then I think you are going to have to watch for it again and take a careful view of its field markings and size. Field markings include color, tail shape and if its forked or not, wing bars, beak color, size etc.

Because with you saying the bird was neon green and had a short beak and looked like a finch no such bird is seen in the MA area.

You can take a look at the books on birds such as Peterson's Guide or any of the new birding books out there - your local library probably has some.

This site shows a lot of birds too I'm starting you where the female gold finch can be seen

Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

I found some winter warbler pictures for you to look at

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Never mind please e-mail my money backUndecided

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you anyhow atleast we all tried