August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

My chicken has developed a large (7mm) cyst/growth above her

Customer Question

My chicken has developed a large (7mm) cyst/growth above her left nostril. Her face is now dark green. Her comb is still ok, skin pallor is normal on the rest of her body and she is eating and drinking normally. Not sure about her egg production as she is one of 50 of my ex-battery hens who are now very unpredictable layers as they are still re-feathering. Any advise would be great - I haven't found anything anywhere that tells me about this.
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry there was a delay in getting to your question, sometimes they slip off the 'waiting room' (front page) and get missed.

How is your hen today? Have you noticed any changes in droppings? How about coordination or how she holds her head/neck?

Look at her eyes: Are they normal colored irises with regular shaped pupils that react to light. You can test this by shading her eyes with one hand and noting whether the pupils dilate and then contract when you remove your hand and let full light hit them.

Is this growth yellowish? Does it feel solid or moveable and fatty?

Is the skin discoloration only in the area of the growth or overall?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the bird is dead today.

the skin discoloration was dark green and only her face and beard (comb remained bright pink) everything else was normal - egg production fine, droppings fine, eyes and skin palor were fine - it was just the face discoloration. The growth was solid and not moveable, and also not green - just the face was green.