Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

How do I fix a broken leg in a crow. It is a baby that my cat got.

Customer Question

My husband brought in a baby crow he found on the ground. It has a leg that just hangs there. I think it is broken at the well at the hip of the bird, or at the very top of the leg. I try to tape it to the body, but he keeps getting it loose. How can I fix it so it can heal?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

This will be difficult, if not impossible for you to fix. If you'll give me your state, I can find a list of wildlife rehabilitators for you. They are people especially trained to treat injuries like this, and then release the bird when it has healed. There is no charge for their services - they just want to help the animals.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MsAM's Post: Hello Anna,
I am in Dracut Massachusetts, and would love to get that information to help this poor baby bird (Crow). He is very fiesty, and has plenty of life, so I am sure he can be helped. My email is Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Here's the list. If none of them are extremely close, give them a call anyway. Sometimes, they'll meet you halfway or even arrange to pick up the bird. It's very kind of you to want to help. I hope the poor baby will be fine - crows are such smart and personable birds.

Anna

Massachusetts, Eastern region (Hingham).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    New England Wildlife Teaching Hospital
    NEWCHOSP@aol.com
    Specialty: Veterinary care of sick and injured wildlife

Massachusetts, Eastern region, Worcester County (North Grafton).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Dr. Pokras, Dr. Kaufman, Carolyn, or Debbie
    Tufts Wildlife Clinic
    mpokras1@pearl.tufts.edu
    Comments: fax(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Massachusetts, Northern region (Winchendon).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Anne Eddy, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
    AHIMSA1108@aol.com

Massachusetts, North Central region, Middlesex County (Winchendon).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Cassandra Tompkins, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator

Massachusetts, Southern region (Falmouth).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Wildlife Information, Referral, & Educational Services
    Specialty: New England wildlife natural history, zoologist, wildlife biologist

Massachusetts, Southeast region, Barnstable County (Brewster).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Karen Von den Deale, Wild Care, Inc.
    wildcare@C4.net
    Wildlife Species: song birds, sea birds, turtles, and canids; other rehabbers in the
    organization specialize in small mammals

Barnstable/Cape Cod County (West Barnstable).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Jessica Almy (wildlife advocate), Cape Wildlife Center

Massachusetts, Southeast region, Bristol County (Berkley).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Kathleen Frisbie (director), The Place for Wild Birds, Inc.
    Wildlife Species: songbirds

Massachusetts, Western region, Franklin County (Hawley).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Barbara Skelly (Director), The Center for Rehabilitation Of Wildlife
    thecrow@gis.net
    Wildlife Species: native birds ONLY
    Specialty: migratory birds
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The places close to me in area code 01826 MASS are Dracut, Chelmsford, Bedford, Lexington, Billerica, Tyngsboro.

In NH are, Hudson, Nashua. Is there anything in the 01826, 01851, or 03051 area codes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also Methuen Mass.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay - I've been trying to track down more help for you, but without much luck. I've checked all the directories I have, and couldn't find rehabbers in the towns you've listed. I suggest that you call either the New England Wildlife Teaching Hospital or the Tufts Wildlife Clinic (the first two on the list above) first thing in the morning. The larger centers sometimes know of rehabbers who aren't in the directories, and will be able to send you to one. Keep in mind, too, that a rehabber may be willing to meet you halfway, so don't be afraid to call and ask. Your local animal shelter may also know of someone.

If you want to spend some money on the little crow, an avian vet could help. This link will take you to a directory of them:

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm

I also did a bit of research on setting broken legs in birds. Every source I found said that only an experienced person can do it successfully, and even then it may not heal well enough that the bird can be released, so it seems pretty clear that a layperson won't be able to do it. It's very kind of you to want to help this bird. I hope you'll be able to get someone to assist in the morning.

Anna