Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

My male parakeet has been ill lately. First, one foot ...

My male parakeet has been ill lately. First, one foot seemed to go lame. Then that got well and he got obviously sick. I gave him light treatment and Rescur Remedy and he appeared to entirely recover. Then a week or ten days later, one leg went lame again. This morning, both feet are lame. He flaps around the cage, using his beak to grab on. What''s going on and is there anything I can do?

This may sound hard to believe, but one of the most common causes of lameness in parakeets is a tumor. Tumors on the kidney or reproductive organs put pressure on the sciatic nerve. That leads to lameness in one or both legs. I think your best decision would be to see an avian vet as soon as you can. This link will take you to a directory:

Unfortunately, parakeets are very prone to tumors, so there's a good chance that's what it is. Even if it's something else, it sounds serious enough that you'll need a vet to treat it. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope that I'm wrong in my suspicions, and this will turn out to be something that can be easily treated.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MsAM's Post: We don't have avian vets here. I don't mean to be cruel, but I wouldn't be having tumor surgery for a parakeet. If he doesn't get better again, should I put him down? I mean, as long as he has an interest in life, he's not actually suffering, right?
Yes, you're right. I would wait to put him down until he doesn't enjoy life or seems to be in pain. And, you don't sound cruel - many times surgery can't be done anyway because of the tumor location. In that case, the vet would recommend what you are doing. The main reason I recommended a vet was in case something else that could be treated is causing your bird's symptoms. However, the signs you're seeing do point to something serious and that could be expensive. Our own financial situation has to be taken into account when making decisions like these, and it's not cruel to do that.