Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

why does my african grey keep regurgitating his food so it ...

why does my african grey keep regurgitating his food so it looks like very tiny wet seeds
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

African greys regurgitate food for prospective mates as part of courtship. When they get attached to a particular person, they often regurgitate for that person, too. If your bird is otherwise healthy, that's probably what's going on. If he can hear or see birds that are outdoors, that can also stimulate the behavior.

Be sure that your parrot has plenty of mental stimulation, enriching activities, and doesn't spend a lot of time doing nothing. If he has a lot to do, that may help him focus less on you or outdoor birds.

If your African grey has any other symptoms, or if he is losing weight, then something may be wrong and you'll need to see an avian vet. But if regurgitation is all you're seeing, it's probably just a sign of affection. Here are sites where you can read more about African greys:

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)