August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

There is a large nest in my pine tree. I looked at the bird ...

Customer Question

There is a large nest in my pine tree. I looked at the bird through my binoculars and it had a bright orange breast and a conical beak. Can you tell me what is ?
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 8 years ago.

Good observation about the beak and what kind of tree it was in - now, approximately how big is the bird? For instance, smaller than a pigeon, the same size or bigger?

Color of the rest of the feathers - as close as you can tell

Which state are you in and what area of the state (city/town/county)?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It looked a lot bigger than a pigeon, because I was guite far from the tree. I couldn't see the rest of it because it was hidden behind a branch. About 2 weeks ago there was a rose-breasted grosbeak (male) at the feeder also its mate. I live in Northwest Ohio. Thank You

It sounds like you're a birdwatcher, or at least a backyarder. They are fascinating aren't they? I've found some of the most unassuming looking, little birds can have the biggest, most beautiful song.

Let's try to figure this one out. I'll provide some links here with photos and you can try to match up what you've seen:

This one seems a bit small from your description, but perhaps it was a Red Breasted Nuthatch

Another small bird and more red than on the breast, a Scarlet Tanager

Common Redpole

Orchard Oriole

A Baltimore Oriole doesn't just swing a bat, the original has feathers and the breast can be an 'orangy-yellow' They are one of your native birds.

The Eastern Towhee

Finally, but by no means the end of the possibilities, the American Robin can be pretty large and are nest builders as you describe.

The Nature Conservatory in Ohio has a list of other native species you can consider and be on the look out for. A sort of guideline to backyard birding.

By putting out the appropriate foods at the right locations you can have different flocks of visitors throughout the day and year 'round. Keep it up!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: I will try to get more information for you....
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I looked again and I know it's a robin. Thanks!!

That's always the way isn't it? The simplest answer is often the right one.

Well, now you have a list of other native species to be on the look out for .

Do not press 'accept' again. I'm happy to follow up as often as you need on this.

Have fun