Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
77496635

I was hit by a semi tractor trailer 3-4-2015. The truck

I was hit by a semi tractor trailer 3-4-2015. The truck never stopped after the accident. Was contacted by police and was given the trucks insurance info. I have an attorney and we filed a claim but still no word from ins co. Is it typical for these cases to take this long? Just unsure about my Atty choice.

Hello. My name is Marc. I'm a licensed attorney and I'll be happy to assist you today.

I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you've recovered from any injuries. So, it has been over 1 1/2 years since you filed your claim with the insurance company?! You're right to believe that this is taking too long. I'm not surprised, though. Insurance adjusters often let claims fall through the cracks. They're swamped with work and they don't want to pay for claims.

That's why your attorney should be on top of the claim, following up and negotiating with the insurance adjuster. If he has been doing that and the insurance adjuster is offering to pay too little, your attorney should have updated you on what was offered. If the adjuster has denied the claim completely, your attorney should have told you that too.

If the claim is, in fact, denied, or if the adjuster offers less than you want, your option will be to file suit against the trucking company. BUT - it may be too late! The Kentucky statute of limitations for lawsuits arising from car accidents is only one year! Your attorney should advise you as to whether it is now too late to sue the truck owner.

In sum: Get on top of this ASAP by contacting your lawyer. If for some reason your lawyer has disappeared, the you can either hire another one or simply contact the insurance company yourself. I would recommend doing it yourself if you weren't injured and if you're not seeking too much $$.

Good luck to you! I hope I have provided useful information and helped you to understand your issues and options better. If so, please feel free to rate my answer, as that is the only way I can get credit.

Kind regards,

Marc